Hosting a successful Thanksgiving celebration for friends and family is no easy feat. It’s an accomplishment that can make your heart swell with joy and pride, and by all means, please do. You deserve all the bragging rights for all the work you did — and apparently, continue to do. Unfortunately, the work doesn’t stop even after the feast’s been devoured and the guests have gone packing. The aftermath can leave your home needing a thorough, deep clean. Don’t panic! This guide will walk you through a step-by-step deep cleaning process to restore your home to its pre-celebration glory.
Step 1: Gather Cleaning Supplies
Before you roll up your sleeves and tackle the mess, ensure you have all the necessary cleaning supplies. These include:
- All-purpose cleaner or an eco-friendly cleaning alternative
- Disinfectant wipes
- Glass cleaner
- Broom and dustpan
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mop and bucket
- Microfiber cloths
- Trash bags
- Stain removers
A well-equipped cleaning arsenal will save you time and effort as you move through the various cleaning tasks.
Step 2: Deep Clean the Kitchen
The kitchen is the epicenter of Thanksgiving festivities and tends to bear the brunt of the mess. Don’t get too emotionally overwhelmed by the spills and splatters. Break down this gigantic chore into a list of doable cleaning tasks you can do in five to 10 minutes. Hype yourself up by using a timer and playing your favorite upbeat tunes to put you in a good mood. Then tick off these items on your kitchen deep cleaning checklist one by one.
- Declutter countertops and other surfaces. Clean and disinfect with an eco-friendly solution of mild dish soap, warm water, and white vinegar. Skip the vinegar if you have a delicate natural stone countertop.
- Have a garbage bag ready for easy disposal of empty cartons or scraps.
- Load dirty dishes in the dishwasher or park them in the sink, soaked in warm water to melt grease or caked food residue. Doing this will save you extra scrubbing time later.
- Wipe down appliances and stovetop.
- Sweep and mop the floor with warm water and vinegar solution.
- Don’t forget to sanitize high-touch areas like doorknobs and light switches.
Step 3: Refresh the Dining Area
Clean and polish your dining table, paying particular attention to any stains from spills. Wipe down chairs, including the undersides and legs. If you use tablecloths or placemats, shake them out to remove crumbs and wash them in the washing machine with all the dirty kitchen towels while prepping or serving.
Step 4: Clean Living and Entertainment Spaces
- Walk around with a garbage bag to collect trash and an empty basket to pick up random items that don’t belong in the living room, which you can sort and put in their proper place later.
- Take down seasonal decorations, restoring the space to its original state. Invest in air-tight plastic containers or vacuum-sealed bags for proper safekeeping so they don’t gather dust or get damaged by insects. Doing so will also make them last longer, so you can reuse them for years on end.
- Clean from top to bottom. Dust ceilings and high surfaces first. Remove curtains, couch covers, throw blankets, and pillow covers.
- Pay attention to cleaning the most commonly overlooked areas, such as lampshades, baseboards, and behind furniture.
- If you have upholstery, check for any stains and treat them accordingly.
Sweep and mop hard floors and vacuum carpets and rugs. Pay attention to corners and edges where dust and debris tend to accumulate. Consider using a wood cleaner for a polished finish if you have hardwood floors or steam-cleaning if you have fully carpeted floors.
Step 5: Deep Clean Bathrooms
- Scrub the bathroom surfaces, including the sink, countertops, and toilet.
- Replace used towels with fresh ones, and restock toiletries.
- Wipe down mirrors and polish any fixtures.
- Empty the trash and add a new liner.
Step 6: Address Lingering Odors
After a day of cooking and hosting, it’s not surprising if your home will have a funky smell that won’t go away. Open windows for fresh air and simmer a pot of water with citrus slices and spices on the stove for a natural and pleasant fragrance.
Professional Deep Cleaning by FreshSpace
Deep cleaning your home after Thanksgiving may seem daunting, but with a systematic approach, you’ll make it through. Nevertheless, if your physical energy is still as depleted as your social batteries from all the prepping and hosting, it’s not a problem! FreshSpace Cleaning Service is happy to help. Book our premium cleaning services today, and we’ll send one of our finest cleaning partners to tidy up your home.