Are you tired of wondering why your dishwasher smells like a cross between a gym locker and a compost bin? Are you fed up with dishes that never seem to come out as spotlessly clean as they should be? Get ready to say goodbye to funky smells and dirty dishes! Check out this ultimate guide on deep cleaning your dishwasher, according to our home cleaning experts.
Why Should I Deep Clean My Dishwasher?
When was the last time you did a deep cleaning of your dishwasher? If yours came with your rental and or you bought it many years ago, had it for years, and don’t remember the last time you deep cleaned it, it’s probably high time you give it the TLC it deserves now. Here’s why.
1. Start fresh for maximum efficiency
You don’t know how the previous tenants may have used or maintained the dishwasher. Nevertheless, there’s a good chance food crumbs, grease, soap scum, and other residues are in there that can build up, clog, and cause the appliance to malfunction. Deep cleaning your dishwasher gives you the peace of mind that it’s starting on a fresh, clean slate and ready to work efficiently for you.
2. Prevent unpleasant odors from it
If you want to keep your kitchen smelling good all the time, it’s important to know that many culprits can cause nasty odors there— and yes, that includes a dirty dishwasher. Sometimes food bits and other debris can get stuck in the appliance, especially in hard-to-reach areas like the filter or spray arm. They can rot and produce a foul odor if not removed. If you’re wondering why your dishes and glasses smell horrible every time you load them in the dishwasher, this is a plausible explanation.
3. For health, safety, and hygiene
It may look clean from the outside, but your dishwasher is a strong candidate for one of the grossest parts of your home. Failing to deep clean it could lead to a buildup of harmful pathogenic bacteria and other microorganisms, posing a health risk to you and your family. An article by WedMD reveals that poorly maintained dishwashers can harbor fungus and bacteria that can cause adverse reactions among immunocompromised people. And as we tell our customers, one of the biggest benefits of cleaning is knowing that your loved ones are always safe and healthy.
4. Cheaper maintenance costs
Lastly, deep cleaning the dishwasher can help prevent any damage or issues stemming from neglected maintenance. This can save you time and money in the long run by avoiding expensive repairs or replacements.
Step-by-Step Guide to Deep Cleaning Your Dishwasher
- Check the dishwasher drain for solid food particles causing a blockage.
- Empty the dishwasher of contents, including the racks.
- Remove the dishwasher racks and spray arm and wash them with dish soap and warm water. Use a toothpick to remove debris or food particles in the spray arm’s tiny holes.
- Uninstall the filter and use an old toothbrush to scrub away any soap scum or filmy buildup gently.
- Wipe the dishwasher seals for mold or mildew, and check for signs of wear and tear damage, too.
- Deep clean the dishwasher naturally with vinegar. Fill a dishwasher-safe bowl with a cup of white vinegar and place it on the top rack and run it on the hottest and longest cycle.
- Sprinkle a cup of baking soda on the bottom rack and run it on a short, hot cycle. A natural cleaning wonder, baking soda can help remove any odors and further break down any remaining stains.
- While the dishwasher is running, wipe down the exterior of the dishwasher with a soft cloth and an all-purpose cleaner.
- Finish off by running the dishwasher on a short, hot cycle to rinse away any remaining residue.
How Often Should I Deep Clean My Dishwasher?
How frequently you should deep clean your dishwasher depends on a few factors, such as how often you use it and the hardness of your water. However, as a general rule, it’s recommended to do it at least once every three months to keep it smelling nice and in pristine condition.
Get Professional Deep Cleaning Service for Your Dishwasher and Entire Home!
Regularly deep cleaning your dishwasher can help maintain its optimal performance and extend its lifespan. No worries if you have no time, energy, or patience to do this! FreshSpace Cleaning can help you. Aside from standard home cleaning and deep cleaning service, you can also book our cleaning partners to deep clean your dishwasher, oven, and other appliances as an add-on service. So, no more Google-ing for “house cleaning service near me” to do it for you because FreshSpace can!